Leverages [OUR ERP] as their ERP. While the system suits that majority of our business needs, there are shortcomings from a Business Intelligence perspective. Due to this, We engaged a 3rd party in 2013 to develop a reporting tool to provide the information lacking in the OUR ERP built-in reports. This 3rd party solution was based on Crystal Reports and relied on a secondary SQL helper database that built upon OUR ERP and provided a user interface to pull reports in an Ad-Hoc capacity.
Our Company has a need to revisit their reporting and business intelligence on a whole to support current management initiatives.
As the existing 3rd party solutions provider is unresponsive to requests for support to modify, change, or update their tool. Our Company is looking to replace the 3rd party solution with something that better suits their business needs.
The intent of this project is twofold.
Firstly, we need to develop detailed, dynamic reporting that can be easily modified via drop down filters and exported to csv or pdf for further manipulation, or upload to other systems as input to other workflows or operations.
Secondly, Our Company would like to design and implement a dashboarding solution to allow users to absorb and consume relevant business intelligence content more rapidly and in real time. The main focus in these dashboards would be to provide an executive dashboard for the senior management team, as well as departments focusing on other areas such as finance, service and project ticket management, and departmental key performance measures.
Our preference would be to have both facets of this business intelligence solution be handled in one self-contained system for ease of deployment, maintenance, and billing. We do however understand this may not be possible and are open to other considerations.
Our Company has done some research into solutions already. We are currently evaluating a platform that has a very tight integration to our ERP. It is an excellent product; however, it lacks the easy, user configurable, dynamic reporting we require to suit our needs.
With some additional research, we suspect our needs may be accommodated by SQL Reporting Services. If this is the case, we may wish to proceed as such with that tool based on our currently available licensing for MS SQL and leverage it with the dashboarding tool if an all-in-one solution is not available or cost effective. However, we are open to suggestions on how to obtain the same level of dynamic reporting we enjoy today via our 3rd party solution via another tool such as Crystal Reports, another Report Writer, or Business Intelligence software.
External Resource Requirement
To support the business needs referenced above. Our Company is currently looking to engage a SQL consultant to help us with our requirements and assist us with determining a path forward. The SQL consultant would be responsible for the following in a partial or full capacity.
- Provide quick review and analysis of the existing our ERP system, and its relationship to the 3rd party solution to determine any immediate risks to the existing reporting due to the lack of responsiveness off the 3rd party vendor. Should/Can we fix the existing?
- Review the current day [OUR ERP] database to determine if the reporting our Company requires can now be pulled directly from our ERP without the use of this 3rd party solution (detailed examples of the report output are available for comparison).
- Make suggestions based on the above as to what the least time consuming, cost effective approach may be to obtain the detailed reporting and business intelligence we need.
- If needed, assist with the proof of concept, development, and deployment of reporting and business intelligence solutions that are ultimately selected.
- Create any SQL Queries, Report Outputs, Datasets, Data Cubes, or documentation that is required/requested to support our reporting needs listed above.
- Work in unison with our Company team member who will eventually be responsible for this solution through all facets of it's development and future life cycles. The intent is to provide them with training on the entire system as it's developed to further broaden their SQL training which has recently been initiated (read as: job shadowing/mentorship). Thereby bolstering their skills to allow them to create, modify, change, and maintain all systems moving forward.
- Remote, attended access will be made available via the aforementioned team member. However, there is preference internally to have the SQL Consultant available for some on-site meetings during the project and interactions/orientation/shadowing sessions, or if future on-site support may be required.
All systems are in production. Interactions that could produce negative effects may (IE:Reboot) need to be completed outside of business hours.
About the recuiterMember since Mar 14, 2020 Amrendra Mishra
from Ankara, Turkey